- Anatomy, Physiology and Nutrition
- Animal Behavior & Cognition
- Clinical Pathology
- Dentistry, Anesthesia & Surgery
- Ethics & Animal Welfare
- Euthanasia & Bereavement
- Farm & Large Animals
- Laboratories & Laboratory Animals
- Veterinary Medicine, Parasitology & Toxicology
- Veterinary Practice
- Zoos, Aquariums, Reptiles, Birds, Exotics & Wildlife
Need to make a quick citation? Use an on-the-fly citation generator. Just be sure to check the accuracy!
Resources for writing
- Scholarly vs Popular (NC State)
- Developing a Search Strategy (Librarian S.Lucchesi)
- Test your plagiarism skills (Everett Community College)
Understanding your audience
To create a compelling story, you might want to investigate these three types of sources:
- Popular Magazines to get a view into what the public is reading; use the database Academic Search Premier
- Newspaper articles - Start with the NY Times - see this guide https://guides.library.umass.edu/nytimes then other options https://guides.library.umass.edu/sb.php?subject_id=128867
- Peer-reviewed scholarly research articles
- Government information for statistics and legislation; CRS reports are particularly helpful
Database Search Tools
Target your database search by combining these tools with your strategic keywords.
Using quotes "_____" keeps words together as a phrase. Example: "Climate Change"
Using parentheses (_____) collects like terms. Example: (Sea or Ocean or Coast)
Using an asterisk * at end of of a word returns all the various word endings. Example: Flood* for Flood, Flooded, Flooding
Looking at popular magazines to scaffold information
When starting a research project, it is sometimes helpful to search popular magazines to scaffold information and learn the level of information communicated to a public audience.
The database Academic Search Premier is the ONLY database that will let you search specifically for magazine and trade publications.
Academic Search PremierScholarly journals from all academic disciplines - an excellent starting point for multidisciplinary research projects. 3,200 full-text journals. Coverage from 1975 to present.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- Academic Search Premier This link opens in a new windowScholarly journals from all academic disciplines - an excellent starting point for multidisciplinary research projects. 3,200 full-text journals. Coverage from 1975 to present.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- AGRICOLA This link opens in a new windowCovers agriculture; plant and animal sciences; forestry; entomology; soil and water resources; agricultural economics and engineering; alternative farming; nutrition, 1970-present.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- MEDLINE with Full Text This link opens in a new windowMEDLINE provides full-text medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and more.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- Plumb's Veterinary Drugs This link opens in a new windowFind the drug interactions, dosages, and adverse effects for veterinary drugs.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- Web of Science This link opens in a new windowIndex to articles from peer-reviewed journals in all disciplines.Search by cited reference, topic, author, and more. Arts and Humanities covers 1975-present; Social Sciences 1900-present; and Science 1900-present.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- Zoological Record This link opens in a new windowCitations to periodical articles and other scholarly literature on zoology, biochemistry, behavior, ecology evolution, and genetics, 1864-present.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
Career-related print resources available through UMass Amherst
- Career Opportunities in Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources by Susan Echaore-McDavid; Richard McDavid AVAILABLE FROM UMASS AMHERST BY REQUEST Describes more than 95 jobs in agriculture and agricultural-related fields, including farming, aquaculture and commercial fishing, forest production and management, agriscience, agricultural services, food and beverage, pet and animal services, veterinary medicine, and education and communications.Call Number: S494.5.A4 E24 2011ISBN: 9780816074563Publication Date: 2010-11-01
- Master the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) by Peterson's Anyone interested in becoming a veterinary technician must complete a two-year accredited associate degree and then take the Veterinary Technician National Exam. Peterson's Master the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) guide offers crucial test-prep strategies and skill-building review for this essential exam. In addition, readers will find the information they need to know about the responsibilities of a veterinary technician job, the steps to become a veterinary technician, and invaluable expert preparation and practice on the seven test topics of the VTNE listed below. Part I provides an overview of a veterinary technician's job and details on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE). Part II is a preview of the exam ― a diagnostic test to determine strengths and weaknesses on questions that are just like the ones that appear on the VTNE. The guide includes test answers with complete explanations. Part III is a comprehensive overview of subjects on the VTNE, with chapters on: pharmacy and pharmacology surgical preparation and assisting laboratory procedures animal care and nursing anesthesia and analgesia dentistry diagnostic imaging Part IV offers 2 full-length written practice tests, with questions similar to those on the actual exam. Peterson's Master the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) Appendixes offer a valuable glossary of medical terms and abbreviations used on the test and a list of resources recommended by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).Call Number: SF774.4 .M37 2011ISBN: 9780768933727Publication Date: 2011-04-20
- Mosby's Comprehensive Review for Veterinary Technicians by Monica M. Tighe; Marg Brown Whether they're a new vet tech student or reviewing for the certification exam, Mosby's Comprehensive Review for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition is the ideal review tool to help students master critical concepts and pass the VTNE. Now in full color, this edition features a user-friendly outline format that helps break down information visually. Coverage reinforces key concepts in basic and clinical sciences, clinical applications, patient management and nutrition, anesthesia and pharmacology, medical and surgical nursing, and critical care, plus new information on pain management. To ensure the most meaningful review, the Evolve site features a study mode that includes 500 review questions and an exam mode that offers a computer-based testing environment similar to what students will encounter when taking the VTNE. Comprehensive coverage includes all areas of veterinary technology, such as: basic and clinical sciences; clinical applications; patient management, nursing and nutrition; anesthesia and pharmacology; and professional practices and issues. Comprehensive review exam at the end of the text contains 350 questions that provide you with a solid review of the vet tech curriculum and the information you need to know to pass the VTNE. User-friendly outline format is conducive to classification and grouping of material, which helps you retain the content. Coverage of dogs, cats, large animals, birds, reptiles, and laboratory animals ensures you are prepared for all aspects of the national board examination. Summarized concepts and procedures are highlighted in boxes and tables to support visual learners. Student-friendly chapter format contains a chapter outline, learning outcomes, a glossary, and review questions. Appendix of veterinary technician resources include American, Canadian, and international vet tech associations; registration of technicians; and special internet sites of interest to veterinary technicians. NEW! Chapter on pain management and updated and expanded chapter discussions provide the information needed to pass the VTNE NEW! Companion Evolve website contains a practice exam that simulates the computer-based VTNE testing environment. NEW! Full-color format features vivid color photos to support comprehension and recognition of essential concepts including histology, hematology, diagnostic microbiology and mycology, virology, urinalysis, and parasitology.Call Number: SF774.4 .M67 2015ISBN: 9780323171380Publication Date: 2014-08-04
- Review Questions and Answers for Veterinary Technicians by Heather Prendergast Make sure you're prepared for the VTNE with the completely updated Review Questions and Answers for Veterinary Technicians! Author Heather Prendergast breathes new life into this edition with 5,000 questions that have been reviewed and revised to reflect the most recent changes to the VTNE. The content begins with a Foundation of Knowledge Review that addresses hospital management, calculations, terminology, and anatomy and physiology. The second part focuses on VTNE review with complete coverage of the nine primary subject areas on the exam, including the newest domains of pain management/analgesia and emergency medicine/critical care. A companion Evolve website helps build your knowledge and confidence with an electronic testing experience. You can create customized practice tests and take timed practice exams that mirror the actual VTNE and provide instant feedback and detailed rationales. Exam results are archived to allow you to keep track of your progress in each domain. Answers with rationales and sources for correct and incorrect answers on the Evolve companion website help you understand the reasoning and knowledge behind each answer and assist with recalling correct answers. Questions are written specifically for veterinary technician students and practicing veterinary technicians to cover the essential information you need to succeed on the VTNE. Multiple-choice question format mirrors the questions on the VTNE. A variety of questions at different difficulty levels increase your VTNE scoring potential by testing factual knowledge, reasoning skills, and clinical judgment related to veterinary technician duties. NEW! A simulated VTNE testing environment on the companion Evolve website features a bank of 5,000 questions, allowing you to create customized practice tests and take timed practice exams that provide instant feedback and extended rationales. NEW! Questions on pain management/analgesia and emergency and critical care prepare you for these two domains on the VTNE. NEW! 5,000 revised and updated multiple-choice questions reflect the latest VTNE test format to ensure you have the most up-to-date exam review and preparation.Call Number: SF774.4 .R48 2017ISBN: 9780323316958Publication Date: 2016-03-07
- Career Choices for Veterinary Technicians by Rebecca Rose; Carin A. Smith Career Choices for Veterinary Technicians is a comprehensive book of multiple career options within the field of veterinary technology, including careers within general practice, specialty practice, industry, higher education, government, and more. Extensive career descriptions feature daily responsibilities, salaries, and required qualifications. The book includes quotes from veterinary technicians from around the United States who offer first-hand advice and insight about the career moves that led to their success in the veterinary community. Resources for further information are also provided.Call Number: SF756.28 .R67 2009ISBN: 9781583261057Publication Date: 2013-07-15
- Mosby's comprehensive review for veterinary technicians (eBook) by Tighe, Monica M. eBook version of print copy-can be used online through UMass Amherst library websiteISBN: 9780323171397Publication Date: 2015
- Last Updated: Mar 7, 2023 11:57 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/vettech
- Print Page