Selected resources and practices for learners and teachers
In Amherst or nearby
- Bodhisara Dharma Community (Amherst, MA)Mark Hart teaches Insight meditation and other practices from the Theravadin Buddhist tradition.
- Downtown Mindfulness (Amherst, MA)Shalini Bahl offers programs and customized workplace programs at the intersection of emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and leadership.
- Engaged Mindfulness Institute (South Deerfield)Delivers trainings from a rich tradition of spiritually grounded, contemplative and mindfulness-based peace and social change work, as well as the latest developments in neuroscience-based leadership training.
- Green River Zen Center (South Deerfield)a vibrant Zen Buddhist community, sangha, integrating the Japanese-based Zen tradition with styles of Zen study and practice more accessible to contemporary American practitioners. In-person Saturdays (with some retreats) and Zoom other days.
- Insight Meditation Society (Barre)A spiritual refuge for all who seek freedom of mind and heart. Experienced teachers offer guidance in Buddhist meditations known as Vipassana (insight) and Metta (lovingkindness). While the context is the Buddha’s teachings, these practices are universal.
- Insight Western Mass (Easthampton)Non-residential community meditation center that offers the Buddha’s teachings to all who are interested, to help sustain and deepen meditation practice and to bring wisdom and compassion into daily life.
- Temenos Retreat Center (Shutesbury)Reserve a small cabin at this off-the-grid, non-denominational retreat center located on Mount Mineral, about a half hour northeast of Amherst. No programs.
- Valley Mindfulness (Northampton, MA)Offers Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and related mindfulness programs to groups, organizations, and individuals throughout western Massachusetts and globally through the Internet.
- Vipassana Meditation Center (Shelburne Falls)As taught by S.N. Goenka in the tradition of Sayagyi U Ba Khin
- Woolman Hill (Deerfield)Quaker retreat center situated on 110 acres of beautiful meadows and woods, used for retreats, meetings, and celebrations. Also check out the Wally and Juanita Nelson Homestead on the land.
- Last Updated: Feb 9, 2023 11:51 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/contemplative
- Print Page