Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
- Finding books & background information
- Finding articles and news
- Standards, Technical Reports and Data
- Products & Pricing
- Engineering Management
Data sources are dependent on who created the data, their storage options and their ability to share the data. Here is a source for Energy Data.
- U.S. Energy Information AdministrationPart of the Department of Energy, the EIA collects, analyzes, and disseminates independent and impartial energy information. Includes energy outlooks, prices, feature articles and tools for analysis.
740 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003-93006
Finding standards at UMass Amherst
Databases that contain standards:
- ASTM Compass: Your Portal for Standards, Testing Learning, & More This link opens in a new windowStandards and technical engineering information. Covers all engineering disciplines, including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, environmental, geological, health and safety, industrial, materials science, mechanical, nuclear, petroleum, soil science, and solar engineering.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- IEEE Xplore This link opens in a new windowAll IEEE journals (including Spectrum), standards, transactions, and major conference proceedings since 1988, plus some content since 1952, to present.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password. As of May 2022, IEEE no longer supports Internet Explorer, please use another browser for the best experience.
- SAE Mobilus is the platform that provides our current subscribed content from the Society of Automotive Engineers. This includes: Ground Vehicle Standards (also called J-Standards/Reports) (1927 - 2018)
For standards in print:
1. Search the UMass Libraries Discovery search for the standard's title in quotes. (EX: "Wheelchairs - Part 1: Determination of static stability"). If it is in the UMass Amherst Libraries collection, you will find its location in the resulting item record.
2. If UMass Amherst Libraries does not own it, you are part of the UMass Amherst Community, and you need the standard for your research or coursework, you may request a standard by emailing the Engineering Librarian.
Finding Technical Reports
In Technical Reports researchers tell funding agencies like the National Science Foundation (NSF) or the National Institute of Health (NIH) about their research. Use these databases to search for Technical Reports.
Provides access to a large collection of historical and current U.S. Government technical reports. Contains PDFs of many reports.
- OSTI - U.S. Department of Energy Office of Scientific & Technical Information
Scientific and technical reports from DOE-funded research and development activities at DOE national laboratories and facilities and at universities and other institutions nationwide.
- DTIC (Defense Technical Information Center) Technical Reports Database
Searchable database of public/unclassified reports published since 1974. Some full text.
- NASA Technical Reports Server This link opens in a new windowProvides access to aerospace related full-text online documents, citations, images, and videos from 1915 to present. Part of NASA's Scientific and Technical Information (STI) Program, which seeks to collect, organize, provide access, and preserve the results of NASA's research and development initiatives.Content is freely available for use by all.
- TRAIL This link opens in a new windowU.S. government technical reports issued primarily prior to 1975.Content is freely available for use by all.
- Last Updated: Feb 22, 2023 2:22 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/mechindeng
- Print Page