What is the "Food System?"
The "food system" is:
- All processes involved in keeping us fed: growing, harvesting, processing (or transforming or changing), packaging, transporting, marketing, consuming and disposing of food and food packages
- The inputs needed and outputs generated at each step
- Influenced by social, political, economic and natural environments
- Dependent on human resources that provide labor, research and education
Top 12 Reasons to Eat Locally
Top Twelve Reasons to Eat Locally
Did You Know?
86% of America’s fruits and vegetables are grown near metro regions, where they are in the path of development.
And every hour 125 acres (1.2 million acres annually) of farm and ranch land is gobbled up by development.
That's why supporting local food and farms is more important than ever!
(From No Farms No Food campaign of American Farmland Trust)
- Last Updated: Sep 5, 2023 12:51 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/foodsystems
- Print Page