Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Articles: Scholarly Research and news
- Books, handbooks, and theses
- Technical Reports
740 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003-93006
Finding Technical Reports
In Technical Reports researchers tell funding agencies like the National Science Foundation (NSF) or the National Institute of Health (NIH) about their research. Use these databases to search for Technical Reports.
Provides access to a large collection of historical and current U.S. Government technical reports. Contains PDFs of many reports.
- OSTI - U.S. Department of Energy Office of Scientific & Technical Information
Scientific and technical reports from DOE-funded research and development activities at DOE national laboratories and facilities and at universities and other institutions nationwide.
- DTIC (Defense Technical Information Center) Technical Reports Database
Searchable database of public/unclassified reports published since 1974. Some full text.
- NASA Technical Reports Server This link opens in a new windowProvides access to aerospace related full-text online documents, citations, images, and videos from 1915 to present. Part of NASA's Scientific and Technical Information (STI) Program, which seeks to collect, organize, provide access, and preserve the results of NASA's research and development initiatives.Content is freely available for use by all.
- TRAIL This link opens in a new windowU.S. government technical reports issued primarily prior to 1975.Content is freely available for use by all.
Technical Report Libraries
- DTIC U.S. Department of Defense Technical Information Center
- EPA NSCEP National Service Center for Environmental Publications
- IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency Publications
- NACA: National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics 1917-1958
- NASA Technical Reports Server - aerospace-related technical reports created or funded by NASA
- NIST National Institute of Standards and Technology
- NTRL National Technical Reports Library
- ROSA Repository & Open Science Access Portal United States National Transportation Library
- TRAIL Technical Report Archives and Image Library
- TRID U.S. Transportation Research Board and OECD Joint Transport Research Centre International Transport Research.
- OSTI U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Scientific and Technical Information Technical Reports
About Technical Reports
Library of Congress - About Technical Reports & Standards
- Technical Reports are issued or sponsored by government agencies, associations & societies, councils, foundations, laboratories, or academic institutions.
- The format provides rapid communication of new research results to the funder.
- The reports include detailed methodology and data in order to facilitate review of research results by others.
- Technical Reports are typically not peer reviewed, but generally are the result of another selection process (grant, contract, or institutional affiliation).
Technical reports usually appear as part of a numbered series from the issuing agency. These numbers are important and are often the easiest way to find a specific report or document. Each agency has its own numbering system. Technical report number systems usually include the following elements:
- agency, society, or company delineator
- year code
- specific number for each report
United States Government Sponsored Technical Reports
Government issued or sponsored reports contain an additional characteristic - they may be subject to distribution restrictions linked to their classification status. Although references may be found in the literature to these reports, their security status or limited distribution may make them unavailable (consult the EPA Freedom of Information Act site as an example for guidance in obtaining these reports). The Library of Congress holds only those titles that are in the public domain. Technical reports subjects where U.S. government sponsored research is particularly prominent and widely available include:
- Aeronautics and space exploration (NASA)
- Defense & Military Science (DOD)
- Earth sciences (USGS) (NASA)
- Energy research (DOE) (NRC)
- Engineering (DOD) (NASA)
- Environmental sciences (EPA) (NIH)
- Health & Life sciences (NIH)
- Transportation (DOT) (FAA)
- Last Updated: Feb 21, 2023 11:05 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/ece
- Print Page