NRC 571 - Fisheries Science & Management
Species info from journal articles
Search for your species in the databases listed on the Journal Articles tab.
Try Proquest Aquatic Science Collection first!
Connect the common and scientific names with an OR - for example:
mahi-mahi or Coryphaena hippurus
If you want to specify growth (von Bertalanffy) info, include terms using AND:
(mahi-mahi or Coryphaena hippurus) and (von bertalanffy)
Catalog of U.S. Government Publications - Search the name of the species.
NOTE: Documents that government agencies produce are ruled by laws, and the research is focused on the exact requirements in those laws, so they are sometimes difficult to understand without knowing what laws they are governed by.
A search can produce many documents - narrow your results with other terms, such as habitat or biology.
Two series of reports - Essential Fish Habitat Source Documents and Species Profiles - give basic biological information on a species. They cover different species with some overlap, but not all species! They tend to be commercially important ones.
- Essential Fish Habitat Source DocumentsLife History and Habitat Characteristics reports from the National Marine Fisheries Service, part of U.S. NOAA
Note: these are only marine species.
- Website explaining Essential Fish Habitat concepts and issues.
- PDF describing differences between Essential Fish Habitat and Critical Habitat
- Species Profiles: Life Histories and Environmental Requirements... for 126 species, published by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
Note that these were written prior to 2000 so they are not current, but they do provide a comprehensive "sketch" of the species.See a sample report on Striped Bass.
Access these reports individually in the Five Colleges library catalog .
Search: Title Keywords and enter species profiles and your species name.
or through the Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (see above)
- Essential Fish Habitat Mapperinteractive mapping application gives users newly available data on EFH areas protected from fishing. These data represent areas where steps have been taken to minimize the impact that fisheries have on EFH by geographic area of interest.
- Last Updated: Aug 10, 2022 3:11 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/NRC571
- Print Page