Citation Managers at UMass
Get started with Zotero
1. Download Zotero 6 for Windows or Mac AND the browser connector, and register for a free zotero.org account.
2. Open Zotero. In your browser, search for an article.
3. Click the Zotero icon at the top of your browser to save a citation from that page. It will look different depending on how many articles there are in your list. A pop-up window will appear on the upper right of the screen and will indicate where your citations are being save in your Zotero library.
4. To manually add a citation, highlight the folder you plan to use. Click the new item button and choose the type of item you would like to add. Type in each field necessary for your citation. Edit citations by clicking on a field.
5. Create collections and edit folders to organize your work. To move an item to Trash, right click, and choose "Move Item to Trash." Items stay in the "Trash" folder until you empty it.
6. Zotero makes it easy to view the article for a citation that you have saved in your Zotero collection, but there is a setting that you can adjust to make it more reliable from off campus. To set the UMass Libraries as your favorite library, click on "Edit," "Preferences," then in "Advanced," enter:
http://silk.library.umass.edu/login?url=https://resolver.ebscohost.com/openurl? as resolver, version 1.0.
Click on an article title, then the drop-down menu next to the search box, and choose Library Lookup to get to the article through the UMass Amherst Libraries.
7. Writing your paper, use the Zotero tab in Word
or Libra Office
or Google Docs to insert citations and a bibliography.
Zotero support: https://www.zotero.org/support/start
Getting Started with Zotero Tutorial
Allowing and Seeing Zotero Connector in Browsers
In Chrome, you must pin the Zotero Connector extension in order to see the icon appear in your browser bar.
- Click on the puzzle piece icon
- Click on the push pin icon next to the Zotero Connector - you want it to be blue, not grayed out.
In Safari, you must give permission to install the Zotero Connector extension.
- Open the Preferences menu in Safari
- Click Extensions
- Click the check box to allow Zotero Connector (depicted with PIPTool)
- Last Updated: Oct 17, 2023 3:33 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/CitationManagers
- Print Page