Mendeley recently released Reference Manager, which can be used instead of Desktop. Here's how they compare:
1. Go to mendeley.com to create an account.
3. Add the Web Importer to your browser.
4. Search for an article in a database. Click the Save to Mendeley button to save a citation.
5. You will be prompted to sign into your account if you are not already. Mendeley can try to find and download the pdf. Choose a folder and click Add.
6. Install the MS Word Plugin from Mendeley Desktop -> Tools menu
OR Install Mendeley Cite for Microsoft Word. Find Mendeley cite in the References tab in Word.
While writing in Word, use Mendeley Cite-O-Matic OR Mendely cite to insert references, choose citation styles, and bibliographies.