- COVID-19: The Basics
- Authoritative ResourcesToggle Dropdown
- Understanding COVID-19Toggle Dropdown
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a newly discovered infectious disease, coming a family of viruses (coronavirus) that causes respiratory infections ranging from minor colds to severe diseases such as SARS and MERS.
This guide was last updated on: June 24th, 2022
Alternate names can include:
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
- 2019 novel coronavirus
- 2019-nCoV Infection
What's in a name?
- Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes itOfficial names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. COVID-19 is caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2).
- By Any Other Name – COVID-19Do you know which disease name reflects an evil influence from the sky? Dr. Steve Berger from GIDEON (Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Online Network) delves into the history of disease nomenclature, including the most recent — COVID-19
UMass Amherst Libraries Hours
Summer Hours for the UMass Amherst Libraries, beginning May 15th:
W.E.B. DuBois Library: Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm
Science & Engineering Library: Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm
Mount Ida Wadsworth Library: Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm
You can view our full hours calendar here: https://www.library.umass.edu/hours/
UMass Amherst Public Health Promotion Center: COVID-19
As of May 15th, 2022, self-test PCR and rapid antigen kits are available to the UMass community in Draper Hall. If you test positive, report your positive test results to UMass Public Health at email@example.com. A nurse will then reach out to provide you information. More information can be found on the Isolation and Quarantine Guide.
- UMass Amherst Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)Information for the campus community on the impact of coronavirus to the campus. Includes information on travel, teaching and research, and student and health resources.
- Amherst COVID-19COVID-19 news, policies, and statistics for Amherst, MA.
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health: Information on the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)Information specific to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts provided by the Mass Department of Public Health. Includes prevention and monitoring info, as well as details on the state of emergency.
- Office of the Attorney General Maura Healey - Resources During COVID-19A collection of resources for MA residents of their rights during the COVID-19 pandemic. Includes information on employee rights, sick time, borrowing, and other relevant topics.
MeSH (Medical Subject Heading) Terms
- COVID 19
- SARS-CoV-2 Infection
- Infection, SARS-CoV-2
- SARS CoV 2 Infection
- SARS-CoV-2 Infections
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus Infection
- 2019-nCoV Disease
- 2019 nCoV Disease
- 2019-nCoV Diseases
- Disease, 2019-nCoV
- COVID-19 Virus Infection
- COVID 19 Virus Infection
- COVID-19 Virus Infections
- Infection, COVID-19 Virus
- Virus Infection, COVID-19
- Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Disease 2019, Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Disease-19
- Coronavirus Disease 19
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection
- SARS Coronavirus 2 Infection
- COVID-19 Virus Disease
- COVID 19 Virus Disease
- COVID-19 Virus Diseases
- Disease, COVID-19 Virus
- Virus Disease, COVID-19
- 2019-nCoV Infection
- 2019 nCoV Infection
- 2019-nCoV Infections
- Infection, 2019-nCoV
- COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID 19 Pandemic
- Pandemic, COVID-19
- COVID-19 Pandemics
See: COVID-19 [Supplementary Concept]
- Last Updated: Jun 24, 2022 11:47 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/COVID-19
- Print Page