Not only do you need to cite your sources, but you need to format them according to a particular style. Your instructor will often ask you to use a certain style in your paper. Here are links for more information about the styles commonly used in the health sciences:
**NOTE: Many databases provided by the Libraries will generate citations that are not always 100% accurate! When using APA or AMA style, always check the capitalization of words in the article title and the journal title to make sure they are correct.**
- APA Style 7th Edition Reference Quick Guidean overview of formatting citations in APA 7 from the APA Style team
- APA Style - Style & Grammar Guidelines for Referencesfrom APA Style website
- APA Citation Style Guidefrom Purdue University
Guide in print:
Du Bois Library: UM Reference Desk / BF76.7 .P83 2010
Science & Engineering Library: UM Science Reference / BF76.7 .P83 2010 / Reference
- AMA Manual of Style - 11th EditionE-book version of the latest American Medical Association style guide. (Limited to 3 users at a time.)
- AMA Style Guidefrom University of Washington
Guide in print:
Science & Engineering Library: UM Science Reference / R119 .A533 2009
- NLM Journal AbbreviationsAllows you to get the NLM abbreviation for a journal title to use in AMA citation format. Can also look up abbreviation to find full journal title.
- Chicago Manual of Style This link opens in a new windowThe widely-used citation and style guide for scholarly writing.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
Books on Writing & Research
- Mastering Scientific and Medical Writing by Silvia M. RogersCall Number: E-BookISBN: 9783642394461Publication Date: 2014
- Writing Dissertation and Grant Proposals: Epidemiology, Preventative Medicine, and Biostatistics by Lisa Chasan-TaberCall Number: E-book R853.P75 C48 2014ISBN: 9781466512078Publication Date: 2014
- Qualitative and Mixed Methods in Public Health by Deborah K. PadgettCall Number: RA440.85 .P335 2012ISBN: 9781412990332Publication Date: 2012
- News & Numbers: A Writer's Guide to Statistics by Lewis Cope; Victor Cohn; Deborah Cohn RunkleCall Number: E-bookISBN: 9781405160964Publication Date: 2012
- Successful Grant Writing: Strategies for Health and Human Service Professionals by Laura N. Gitlin; Kevin J. LyonsCall Number: E-BookISBN: 9780826101037Publication Date: 2014
Writing a Lit Review?
Literature Reviews, Systematic Reviews & More for Health Sciences
by Ellen Lutz Last Updated Mar 1, 2023 347 views this year
Academic Honesty & Plagiarism
"Academic dishonesty is prohibited in all programs of the University. Academic dishonesty includes but is not limited to: cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, and facilitating dishonesty." University of Massachusetts Amherst Academic Honesty Policy and Appeal Procedure
Here are some links for more information about avoiding academic dishonesty:
TurnitinTurnitin is a plagiarism prevention service used by many UMass professors that detects textual matches between student papers and other documents available in electronic form on the Internet, in subscription databases, and in databases of student papers.
Academic Honesty PolicyGives specific examples of academic dishonesty and links to an overview of the policy, the full policy and helpful resources if accused of academic dishonesty.
Avoiding PlagiarismFrom the Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Last Updated: Feb 20, 2023 1:59 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/pubhealth
- Print Page