An open-source citation manager that the UMass Amherst Libraries offers support for is Zotero.
If you are getting this error when you try to install the Zotero browser connecter, there is a solution.
Log out of all of your UMass Google Apps. The "Install Connector" button will now take you to the Google Play Store to download the plugin. Download, install, and restart the browser.
When you install the browser connector it tries to take you to the Google Play Store to download the plugin. The permissions on the UMass subscription to Google Apps blocks the Play Store, just like it blocks YouTube. You need to log out of all Google Apps that use your @umass.edu account before the browser will open the Play Store.
Once you have downloaded and installed the browser plugin, the Zotero icon should appear in your browser's toolbar, usually to the right of the URL address box. Sometimes the browser needs to restart before the plugin is fully installed, so the icon might not appear until after you restart.
1. Download Zotero 5.0 for Windows or Mac AND the browser connector, and register for a free zotero.org account.
2. Open Zotero. In your browser, search for an article.
3. Click the Zotero icon at the top of your browser to save a citation from that page. It will look different depending on how many articles there are in your list. A pop-up window will appear on the upper right of the screen and will indicate where your citations are being save in your Zotero library
4. To manually add a citation, highlight the folder you plan to use. Click the new item button and choose the type of item you would like to add. Type in each field necessary for your citation.
5. Edit citations by clicking on a field.
6. Create and edit folders to organize your work. To move an item to Trash, right click, and choose "Move Item to Trash." Items stay in the "Trash" folder until you empty it.
7. Zotero makes it easy to view the article for a citation that you have saved in your Zotero collection, but there is a setting that you can adjust to make it more reliable from off campus. To set the UMass Libraries as your favorite library, click on "Edit," "Preferences," then in "Advanced," enter
"http://silk.library.umass.edu/login?url=https://resolver.ebscohost.com/openurl" as resolver, version 0.1.
8. Writing your paper, use the Zotero tab in Word
or Libra Office
or Google Docs to insert citations and a bibliography.
Zotero support: https://www.zotero.org/support/start
Here are a few videos to get you started with Zotero. These are borrowed from other libraries, so just remember to contact Ellen if you have questions!
The first video shows how to download Zotero and the Zotero Connector for your browser.
This video shows how to create an online Zotero account, then how to link it to your desktop Zotero and synch them.
This video shows how to save references to your Zotero library.
This video shows how to create citations and reference lists in Zotero, and how to cite things while you are writing.
And this video shows how to set up shared group libraries in Zotero.