E-Books at UMass Amherst Library
Adobe Digital Editions
ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS FOR PCS, MACS AND WINDOWS-RUNNING DEVICES
ADE provides free digital rights management and an e-book platform. Your borrowed e-books stay with your ADE account and your copy of the software, so you must set it up on your own computer, not shared Library computers. Once set up, your account can be synched between multiple devices.
When you click to download (borrow) an eligible e-book, indicate in the pop-up box that the .acsm file (a "key" file for ADE, not the book itself) should open in Adobe Digital Editions. ADE opens in a separate window with the book displayed within. The actual pdf file will be stored in your computer.
Description: Wide range of scholarly monographs.
UMass holdings: We lease multiple-user access to the 75,000 title Academic Complete collection, plus some recently-selected single-user titles.
Find along with other books:
- Five College Catalog (limit to UMass e-books here -- specify e-book in format). Click the e-book title, then Click for call number and availability, then click the online link.
- WorldCat Local (be sure UMass owns it). Click the e-book title, then click the link.
Or search the ebrary database directly.
Read Online with partial print/download
Click the blue Read Online bar. When the book has loaded, the top menu bar provides tools and navigation. Click the printer icon to print or create a pdf of up to 30 pages per session. Note: some publishers may further restrict printing and downloading.
Download for offline reading
Requires UMass NetID and Adobe Digital Editions, a free download.
Click the blue Download button. Specify your device as prompted.
Downloaded books persist on laptop or device for up to 14 days, after which the file disappears.
Special Feature: Bookshelf
To organize and share books and annotations, sign into Ebrary using your NetID and use the Bookshelf feature. You don't have to check out a book to put it on your bookshelf. To go directly to your bookshelf, click Ebrary from the Database list, click the Bookshelf tab, and log in. Books can be organized into folders; links to folders can be shared or emailed to other Ebrary users.
IoS and Android Devices
BLUEFIRE FOR IPHONE, IPAD AND IPOD TOUCH
Borrowing library e-books on an IOS device requires BlueFire Reader synched to your Adobe Digital Editions account.
1. If you don't have one yet, create an ADE account on your computer. Allow for multiple devices.
2. If you don't have one yet, get an Apple ID.
3. Download Bluefire Reader on your IOS device. As prompted, authorized for use with Adobe ebooks using your ADE account.
4. When downloading your e-book, follow prompts to open in Bluefire.
Borrowing Ebsco e-books requires the Bluefire app.
Ebrary has created its own app for the Android.
- Last Updated: Mar 7, 2022 2:25 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/E-books
- Print Page