At UMass Libraries
- The Earthing Movie: The Remarkable Science of Grounding (1:15:32)Feature-length documentary based on their viral short film entitled 'Down To Earth,' that reveals the scientific phenomenon of how we can heal our bodies by doing the simplest thing that a person can do…standing barefoot on the earth.
- Paradise Lot in Holyoke (14:02 min)Overview of the project and garden and you get a view of a majority of the permaculture food forest, and the plants we've been growing since 2004. After this recording was done, Eric Toensmeier become a global leader in helping the world solve climate change. This garden is an inspiring example of what is in his two most recent books, The Carbon Farming Solution and Project Drawdown.
- Sepp Holzer's Mountain Permaculture Farm (33:34 min)A walk through Holzer's family farm called the Krameterhof. Fish ponds, productive terraces, fruit trees and grazing animals characterize the lush landscape in one of Europe's oldest and most well established permaculture farms.
- The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism (1:18:37)Based on The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, a 2007 book by the Canadian author and social activist Naomi Klein. Klein argues that neoliberal free market policies (as advocated by the economist Milton Friedman) have risen to prominence in some developed countries because of a deliberate strategy of "shock therapy". This centers on the exploitation of national crises to push through controversial policies while citizens are too emotionally and physically distracted by disasters or upheavals to mount an effective resistance. The book suggests that some man-made events, such as the Iraq War, were undertaken with the intention of pushing through such unpopular policies in their wake. Some reviewers criticized the book for making what they viewed as simplifications of political phenomena, while others lauded it as a compelling and important work.
- Sirius Community in Shutesbury (13:43 min)a self sufficient community extraordinaire! We ask one of the founders to take you on a tour of the community center and show you how "Sirius" they are about sustainability and community.
- Socially Engaged Permaculture (57:31 min)With Lisa Depiano, UMass Amherst faculty
- Social Permaculture (53:25 min)With Abrah Dresdale, UMass Amherst faculty (and Adam Brock)
- Solitude Farm in India (27:32 min)Solitude farm is one of India's oldest permaculture farms. Set in the pioneering Auroville ashram it is run by the inspirational Krishna McKenzie who has been there from its inception. In this video he has a powerful message about fertility in the soil, the healing benefits of leaves and the importance of local foods as a sustainable alternative to industrialized agriculture.
- Spiritual Ecology and Regenerative Economics (1:34:38)What is our relationship with the planet, and how does that relate to economics? Is this crisis an opportunity to cultivate new habits and skills, to build a sharing economy, and decouple productivity from money?
- Last Updated: Dec 6, 2021 11:13 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/permaculture
- Print Page
Tags: STOCKSCH 186