Library of Congress Classifications
The majority of science books are found in the Q range of call numbers and several areas contain books related to various aspects of biology. Here's how the Library of Congress breaks down the Science section:
Q Science (General)
QH Natural history - Biology
QM Human anatomy
Information about Medicine is found in the R range of call numbers. Here are some of the main areas:
R Medicine (General)
RC Internal medicine
RG Gynecology and obstetrics
Other Library of Congress call numbers that may have information related to Science:
S range for Agriculture
T range for Technology
The best place to search for books is using Discovery Search, the default search box on the UMass Amherst Libraries website. Discovery Search looks for books and articles at UMass Amherst, the Five Colleges and worldwide libraries. It searches many resources all at once, but does not include all of our databases. It also does not provide the specialized limiters that are available in subject databases when you search them directly.
When your search is complete, the results can be narrowed using the limiters on the left. If a book is at one of the Five Colleges, you can request it to come to UMass Amherst using the Request Item link above the box with information about the book.
When you have found a source that seems useful, click on the title to open the full record. Look at the Subject Terms assigned to that source; if you see one that looks good, click that to get other titles that have been given that subject heading.
UMass Amherst Libraries has access to several E-book collections. The list below highlights those that have health-related content.
- EBSCO eBook Collection This link opens in a new windowScholarly and popular books online, in full text, various dates.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
For Macs and Firefox, a plugin is required. See http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/
- Ebook Central This link opens in a new window75,000 scholarly e-books in all disciplines, from university presses and scholarly publishers worldwide.Available only to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with a UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password. Walk-in access is not available for this resource.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library This link opens in a new windowA collection of several hundred current subject encyclopedias.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- Oxford Reference Online This link opens in a new windowEntries from over 100 Oxford University Press subject and language dictionaries, guides, and concise companions.Available on campus to all, or off-campus to UMass Amherst students, staff and faculty with an UMass Amherst IT NetID (user name) and password.
- Last Updated: Jan 3, 2023 8:25 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/plantbio
- Print Page