Visiting UMass Amherst PTRC
Help by the UMass Amherst Libraries PTRC Librarian is by appointment only. Please make sure to call or email ahead of your visit to insure that I am available to meet with you.
The UMass Amherst PTRC Librarian and materials are located in the Science & Engineering Library located in the Lederle Graduate Research Center (LGRC) Lowrise on the north end of the UMass Amherst campus.
The UMass Amherst Libraries are open to the public for public use.
The Science and Engineering Library is also open to the public for public use.
United States Patent & Trademark Office PTRC Program
Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC)
Patent and Trademark Resource Centers (PTRCs) are a nationwide network of public, state, and academic libraries designated by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to disseminate patent and trademark information and to support the diverse intellectual property needs of the public. The PTRC Program began in 1871 when federal statute (35 USC 12) first provided for the distribution of printed patents to libraries for use by the public.
UMass Amherst Libraries is one of only two designated PTRCs in Massachusetts (along with Boston Public Library) and one of about eighty in the entire United States.
UMass Amherst PTRC Services
The PTRC Librarian can assist with the following:
- Explain the three different types of U.S. patents—Utility, Design, & Plant Patents
- Explain where and how to search depending on the level of authority required
- Demonstrate how to use search tools to conduct a patent or trademark search
- Direct you to information and explain the application process and fee schedule
- Provide access to PTRC location-specific resources such as PubEAST and PubWEST, examiner-based search systems
- Offer assistance on how to do historical patent research
- Provide access to printed color plant patents
PTRC Librarians are not able to provide legal advice, conduct specific patron searches, or help fill in any application forms.
While the Library staff is happy to provide assistance with your search, we cannot dispense legal advice. The University of Massachusetts Amherst and its employees provide an informatioin service with no express or implied warranty for results. UMass Amherst assumes no obligatioin or liability for damage arising out of the use, or inability to use, the information provided.