SPHHS First Year Seminars
The default Discovery Search on the UMass Amherst Libraries home page is a good place to start searching for information on any topic.
After you search, you will get your list of results in the Advanced Search window.
If you get a lot of results like in this search, I suggest adding another search term to focus the results. Here's an example:
Then you can use some of the choices on the left under Refine Results to focus your results even more. One common limit used for health-related topics is Publication Date, since we want to look at current research about our topics.
The date range from my revised search with 1,774 results was 1916 to 2023. After changing the date range to 2020 to 2023, I only had 938.
Library Hours & Quick Links
Library Hours: The current day's hours are displayed for all 3 locations. Clicking the View All link lets you see other days and hours for specific services in Du Bois.
- Printing - goes to a page with basic printing information, plus links to How to Print and Printing FAQs pages from campus IT, who manages printing services.
- Interlibrary Loan - goes to the login for this service which can be used to get articles and borrow books that are not part of our collection. (Note: Textbooks are usually not available to borrow from other libraries.)
- Start Your Research - takes you to the full list of Subject Guides created by librarians to highlight resources for departments and programs at UMass Amherst.
- Course Reserves - Your instructors may put materials on reserve in Du Bois Library for your course. Journal articles, book chapters, and streaming media are available through the Canvas, Moodle, or Blackboard page for your class. Physical books can be found by through a Discovery Search. You can search by your instructor's name, the SPIRE course number, or the title/ISBN of the book. Take the call number from the results to the Learning Commons desk on the Lower Level to checkout the materials for 4 hours. If there aren't any results, check with your instructor.
The Libraries host a variety of types of events. To see what is coming up, check out the Events Calendar!
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2023 1:53 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/sphhsfys
- Print Page