UMass Amherst Libraries Mentoring Program
Goals of the Mentoring Program
The Mentoring Program is designed to provide an opportunity for individuals who would like to avail themselves of the experience, wisdom and advice of their colleagues in a loosely structured environment. While the mentoring relationship can vary widely depending on the individuals involved and the goals they identify together, the following list reflects the core objectives of the Mentoring Program.
• Sharing skills, experience and expertise
• Providing support and guidance on workplace and professional development issues
• Expanding organizational perspectives beyond an individual’s department and/or division
• Enhancing workplace satisfaction and retention
• Developing contacts
• Facilitating library recruitment
Guidelines of the Mentoring Program
• The formal duration of the mentor/mentee appointment will be as requested in the Mentee Request, but no longer than 1 year .
• Meetings should take place every 4-6 weeks.
• Meetings between mentor and mentee are considered work time, are recognized as library service and may be included in their respective APRs.
• All discussions between mentor and mentee will be confidential.
• A mentor will have at least 2 years service in the Library.
• A mentor will have no more than 1 mentee at a time.
- Last Updated: Nov 8, 2023 1:19 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/mentoring
- Print Page