HPP 601 Application of Social and Behavioral Theories in Public Health Interventions
When searching for your theoretical model, it is a good idea to put it in quotations marks.
- Searching for "health belief model" will limit your search to articles that talk about this specific model.
- If you just search for health belief model you will get articles that have any of those words in them, not just those using this specific model.
To narrow in on Case Studies, you can search for your theoretical model AND case study.
Recommended Databases for Health Policy and Management
Is the journal Peer Reviewed?
Many of your assignments will require you to locate articles from Peer Reviewed journals. Some databases include an option to limit your search results to only articles from peer reviewed journal.
Other databases, like PubMed, do not. There are several ways you can find out if a journal is peer reviewed.
One of the easiest ways is to look the journal title up using the eJournals link on the UMass Amherst Libraries home page. Above the journal title, it will say peer reviewed if it is.Or, you can look it up in the Ulrich's database (linked below). Peer reviewed (also called refereed) journals will have this symbol next to the title:
Finding Full Text & Interlibrary Loan
When you find an article you want, you can click on the UMass search button to get the full text.
The UMass search button connects to a tool that will find the full text online if it is available in any of the databases UMass has access to.
- It will also search the library catalog to see if the library has it in print.
If an article or book is unavailable at UMass Amherst, you can get it using our Interlibrary Loan service. There will be a link to Request this resource through Interlibrary Loan on the window that opens after you click the UMass search button.
- Here's a screenshot as an example of you might see after clicking the UMass search button.
More about Interlibrary Loan
To log into Interlibrary Loan use your UMass NetID and password (same as what you use for SPIRE and Moodle or Blackboard).
The first time you use Interlibrary Loan, you will be prompted to fill out a profile form, so we know who you are and how to contact you when your item arrives.
- NOTE: In the Delivery Preferences section of the profile form, you must choose a Loan Delivery Method and a Pickup Location. All article requests are delivered electronically, so these options do not apply to articles.
After completing the profile, you should then see a pre-populated article request form. Make sure all the required fields are completed (sometimes they don't all transfer to the form), then submit it and usually in 1-2 business days you'll get an email that your article has arrived! The email will include a link into the Interlibrary Loan system, where your article PDF will be available to print or download.
Literature Review Guide
For more tips on writing literature reviews, check out this guide:
Literature Reviews, Systematic Reviews & More for Health Sciences
by Ellen Lutz Last Updated Dec 5, 2022 149 views this year
Accessing Age Group Filters in PubMed
- Last Updated: Oct 10, 2022 1:05 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.umass.edu/hpp601
- Print Page