Skip to Main Content
The University of Massachusetts Amherst

Spanish & Portuguese Research Guide


Microforms are books, journals, or other items printed in miniaturized form on rolls of film, sheets of transparent plastic, or opaque sheets. The long rolls are called microfilm, while those on small rectangular sheets are called microfiche. The white, opaque sheets are known as microprints or microcards. Microforms allow materials to be preserved in nonpaper format and conserve storage space.

The Periodicals/Microforms area of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library has special machines (microform reader-printers) for viewing and printing all microform formats.

There are many specialized collections and items of potential interest to researchers in the Microforms area, including current and historical newspapers, periodicals, UMass Amherst dissertations, government documents, and individual and family papers. Examples of microform collections of relevance to Latin American Studies follow.

Latin American Pamphlets From the Yale University Library (Microfiche 598)
Guide Located at Ref Z1431.Y34 1985