A Quick 2-Minute Video
What and Why
What are Open Educational Resources (OER)?
Open Educational Resources are educational materials and resources offered freely and openly for anyone to use and under some licenses to re-mix, improve and redistribute.They include:
- Learning content: full courses, course material, content modules, learning objects, collections, and journals.
- Tools: software to support the creation, delivery, use and improvement of open learning content including searching and organization of content, content and learning management systems, content development tools, and online learning communities.
- Implementation resources: Intellectual property licenses to promote open publishing of materials, design-principles, and localization of content.
OER is a relatively new movement in education; educators and learners as well as learning institutions are driving its development. OER provides an alternative to the rising costs of education. It alleviates the burden of student debt while providing opportunities to students who might not otherwise be able to afford or access materials. For example, in some countries like South Africa, many educators and learners are tapping into OER as the only source for textbooks.
OER provides an opportunity to try new ways of teaching and learning, many of which are more collaborative and participatory.
Scholarly Communication at the Library
At the University of Massachusetts, the Scholarly Communication Office at the W.E.B. Du Bois Library provides numerous services related to scholarly communication, including:
- providing access to your work through the institutional repository, ScholarWorks
- consultation on publication issues -- author's rights, fair use of included materials, licensing and assignment of your research and publication
- education about open access and scholarly communication
- development of open educational resources (OERs) and teaching materials
- development of conferences, journals, workshops, datasets, and other scholarly communication
Give us a call or email us for more information.