Don't know where to find journal articles? Try these databases:
Web of Science Provides a search by cited reference, topic, author, and more for articles in almost all important English-language journals. Arts and Humanities covers 1975-present; Social Sciences 1956-present; and Science 1900-present. Works poorly with Safari.
PubMed National Library of Medicine's comprehensive database of citations to medical journal articles, with links to UMass-subscribed full text, 1966-present.
SciFinder Web Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) databases of chemistry and related scientific fields. Mid 1800's-present. SciFinder Web requires account registration with UMass Amherst email account. License terms require that users connect to SciFinder Web through a computer on the UMass Amherst network.
Accessing databases from off-campus requires that you log-in with your IT username and password.
Safari Books Online - Highly regarded tech and business books. Read online or print one page at a time.
Siam ebooks - About 400 scholarly and applied e-books published by the Society, on the mathematics of many disciplines.
Springer eBooks - Full text books and journal articles from science publisher Springer, mainly in English, 2005-8. Some soft cover editions of books are available through MyCopy service for $24.95 (including shipping and handling).
Where to Start - For a source more authoritative than Wikipedia
- Kirk Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology Comprehensive articles on topics in chemistry and chemical engineering, with bibliographies. Current.
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry Covers the science and technology of industrial chemistry.
- Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry Covers the chemistry of the compounds and processes that constitute living organisms.
- Encyclopedia of Chemical Biology Chemical biology is a cross-disciplinary science at the interface of chemistry, biology, and medicine emphasizing rigorous application of the principles, tools, and language of chemistry to important topics in biology.
- Access Science AccessScience is an authoritative and dynamic online resource that contains incisively written, high-quality reference material that covers all major scientific disciplines.
Science & Engineering Librarian / PTRC Librarian