1. Download Zotero 5.0 for Windows or Mac AND the browser connector, and register for a free zotero.org account.
2. Open Zotero. In your browser, search for an article.
3. Click the Zotero icon at the top of your browser to save a citation from that page. It will look different depending on how many articles there are in your list. A pop-up window will appear on the upper right of the screen and will indicate where your citations are being save in your Zotero library
4. To manually add a citation, highlight the folder you plan to use. Click the new item button and choose the type of item you would like to add. Type in each field necessary for your citation.
5. Edit citations by clicking on a field.
6. Create and edit folders to organize your work. To move an item to Trash, right click, and choose "Move Item to Trash." Items stay in the "Trash" folder until you empty it.
7. Zotero makes it easy to view the article for a citation that you have saved in your Zotero collection, but there is a setting that you can adjust to make it more reliable from off campus. To set the UMass Libraries as your favorite library, click on "Edit," "Preferences," then in "Advanced," enter "https://sfxhosted.exlibrisgroup.com/umass" as resolver, version 0.1.
8. Writing your paper, use the Zotero tab in Word
or Libra Office
or Google Docs to insert citations and a bibliography.
Zotero support: https://www.zotero.org/support/start