Plan for the day
Types of Information
- Resource - Scholarly vs Popular (GRU Library)
Choosing a Topic
- Use Google to explore topics
- Research what your professors are working on (Faculty research pages)
- Explore topics in a general online encyclopedia such as Access Science
- Explore a more discilpine specifc topic using the online encyclopedias
- Browse issues and topics in the resource GreenR
- Resource (S.Lucchesi - Mich Tech) - Developing a Search Strategy
- Writing to your audience / Searching for popular magazine articles - Academic Search Premier
- Searching for academic peer-reviewed articles - Science Databases - Web of Science, Engineering Village
Assessment of the Day
Science Encyclopedias - Scaffolding to what you need to know
Science Encyclopedias are a great resource for gathering background information. They act as good primers and are more authorative than Wikipedia.
Kirk Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology Comprehensive articles on topics in chemistry and chemical engineering, with bibliographies.
Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry Covers the science and technology of industrial chemistry.
Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry Covers the chemistry of the compounds and processes that constitute living organisms.
Encyclopedia of Chemical Biology Chemical biology is a cross-disciplinary science at the interface of chemistry, biology, and medicine emphasizing rigorous application of the principles, tools, and language of chemistry to important topics in biology.
Encyclopedia of Electrical & Electronics Engineering The ideal starting point for research projects, whether addressing basic questions in power systems and communications, or learning advanced applications in neural networks and robotics.
Encyclopedia of Polymer Science & Technology Providing information about polymers, plastics, fibers, biomaterials, elastomers, and polymerization processes.
Science & Engineering Librarian / PTRC Librarian