When searching in a database use the most important keywords for your search. Use Boolean Operators - AND, OR, NOT - to connect search terms.
Web of Science Provides a search by cited reference, topic, author, and more for articles in almost all important English-language journals. Arts and Humanities covers 1975-present; Social Sciences 1956-present; and Science 1900-present. Works poorly with Safari and does not work with IE9.
PubMed National Library of Medicine's comprehensive database of citations to medical journal articles, with links to UMass-subscribed full text, 1966-present.
SciFinder Web Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) databases of chemistry and related scientific fields. Mid 1800's-present. SciFinder Web requires account registration with a UMass Amherst email account. License terms requires that users connect to SciFinder Web though a computer on the UMass Amherst network.
Google Scholar Use within UMass’ IP range to access many UMass online journal subscriptions. In Scholar Preferences, you can choose to export citations to RefWorks bibliographic manager.
Accessing databases from off-campus requires that you login using your IT username and password.
Biological Abstracts Comprehensive coverage of the life sciences literature, including journal articles, conference papers, and books relating to life sciences, 1969-present.
BioOne Abstracts & Indexes Version of BioOne (bioscience research journals in full text) with better searching functions.
Engineering Village Comprehensive access to engineering journal articles, conference papers, and web sites, 1884-present.
IEEE Explore All IEEE journals (including Spectrum), standards, transactions, and major conference proceeding since 1988, plus some content since 1952, to present.
Inspec Comprehensive index of articles and other scholarly work on electrical engineering: electronics, control engineering, telecom, computing, IT, etc., 1898-present.
Scitation The journals of six key physics and engineering societies, 1893-present.
Where to Start - For a source more authoritative than Wikipedia
- Kirk Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology Comprehensive articles on topics in chemistry and chemical engineering, with bibliographies. Current.
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry Covers the science and technology of industrial chemistry.
- Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry Covers the chemistry of the compounds and processes that constitute living organisms.
- Encyclopedia of Chemical Biology Chemical biology is a cross-disciplinary science at the interface of chemistry, biology, and medicine emphasizing rigorous application of the principles, tools, and language of chemistry to important topics in biology.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online The classic general encyclopedia, a good starting point for all kinds of research. Includes a thesaurus and links to BBC and NYT for current news.